Monday, February 14, 2011

Countdown to Wesley...pt. 2

This is the continuation of 'Countdown to Wesley.'  Otherwise known as the most stressful week ever.
Wednesday morning I woke up to start getting ready for work and could not feel Wesley moving.  My doctor, on the previous day, had said that I should feel him move at least ten times in a two hour period. When I woke up I could not get him to move no matter what I did.  Walking around, massaging my belly, eating, nothing I did could get him to move.  So, being me, I panicked and called my sister and asked her if I should go to the hospital or call my doctor's office.  She said to call the doctor and see what he said, and the office said to go to the labor and delivery department of the hospital I am going to deliver.  My sister got home, picked me up, and off we went to Ogden Regional.  We got there, got checked in and then they sent me to a room.  I had thought that they would check they would check to make sure that Wesley was okay and then I would get to come home.  Maybe I would have to stay off of my feet for a while or take the rest of the week off of work, but my guess as to what would happen was way off.  They had me change into a hospital gown and then hooked up the external fetal monitors to my belly.  As I settled into the bed I could hear Wesley's heartbeat going nice and strong and began to feel a lot better.  The nurse let me know that they would monitor him for a while to make sure that he wasn't going into distress and then left me in the room.  I should note that at this time, I haven't called Casey or my parents or my other sister; I didn't want anyone to worry needlessly so until I knew for sure he was okay, I wasn't going to let anyone know where I was.  My sister was able to come back at this point and we sat around chatting, just waiting for the nurse to come back and let me go.  The next time she came in she said that Wes was doing really well, but she was wondering if I knew that I was having contractions.  I told her that I thought that I had been having false-labor contractions all weekend, mainly just back tension and pain, but that was all.  She wanted to see if I was dilated, and to my surprise, I was dilated to a three.  She called my doctor and it was decided that I would be given a medication to slow/stop the contractions.  I knew that at this point I had to call Casey while my sister called my parents and other sister to let them know where I was and what was going on.  The medication was going to take a couple of hours to take full effect, so I called Casey knowing it wasn't going to be a good call.  He left his class and i had to tell him that I was in the hospital, dilated to a three and having fairly consistent contractions.  I told him about the medication and that we were waiting to see if that would work to get the contractions to stop or slow.  We looked at trying to get him back home that night but all of the flights leaving that evening had extended layovers and wouldn't get him back to Utah until the next morning.  So we decided to see what would happen with the medication and look at getting him on a plane the next morning if we needed to.  So we settled in to wait; my parents both came by the hospital to wait with us by this time.  So we waited.  And waited.  And I kept having contractions.  So we waited some more.  And I kept having contractions.  At about five, my doctor came by to check my himself and I was checked again, still a three, and he wanted to try me on a different medication to stop/slow the contractions.  If they became less consistent or if they stopped I could go home, otherwise he wanted to keep me overnight to make sure that i didn't progress into full blown labor.  So I was given the first pill, waited and checked, given the second pill waited some more, and then given the third pill when it was decided that the contractions were still coming so I had to spend the night.  I'm going to stop here for now...I thought that I would be able to finish this post but it's a loooonnnggg story, so it's going to end up being a three-part story.

1 comment:

  1. That is so crazy and scary...I know that is like the last thing you guys wanted to happen. Now you have me in suspense and I sure hope that that little guy is in your tummy....ahhhh I hate waiting!!!!

    ReplyDelete