Today, the Utah Museum of Natural History had a free admission day, the first of four planned for this year. Casey had the day off so all three of us headed off to the U of U campus a little before noon, our appointed time.
The museum's new building is beautiful! Although I don't remember where it was I do remember going when I was a kid; my dad had taken me and my sisters. Today there were tons of people there, apparently taking advantage of the free admission just like we were. We got to the ticket counter and went to check-in, giving our last name to pick up our tickets. When I told the clerk "Eggett" she asked if we knew someone named Such-and-Such Eggett. She had been roommates with her at school and I asked if she went to BYU-Idaho and it turns out it was one of Casey's cousins! It's so funny, but this is actually the second time a completely random person has known one of Casey's relatives but they all have been out of state.
Anyway, we headed into the museum and started in the kids area on the first floor, the first of five. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera because we were in a splash area, but as Wes stood on a stool, he played with a fish in the little stream and had a blast! He kept trying to kiss/eat it and I was having fun watching him. Unfortunately, there were many other little monsters, er, kids there and the noise and crowds were getting to Casey so we quickly packed up and headed into the dinosaur section.
Looking at a display about how high Bonneville Lake was in comparison to the valley at the time. Wes loved to hold onto the plexi-glass and stomp his feet!
This display allowed you to change the direction of the wind to see how sand dunes were made and altered; Wes just wanted to crawl all over it.
There was a wall full of different sized skulls from all the different cave "men" throughout time and this size was the closest to Wes' head right now, but he wasn't too happy about it. Again, he tried to kiss/bite the skull!
We sat in a little learning room and played with animal puppets for about fifteen minutes! Skunk, cat, grasshopper, butterfly and frogs were available and all he liked was the grasshopper.
While playing with the puppets, we noticed someone yawning and rubbing his eyes- and it wasn't Casey! We wrapped it up pretty quickly after that, only staying for about an hour and fifteen minutes. Next time we come, I think we'll pay and hopefully it won't be so busy and allow Wes to get into the more interactive exhibits. We also will probably wait until he is a little older so he can play a little more on his own and be more interested in what is going on around him. Casey and I did enjoy the museum but would liked to have been able to actually look at the exhibits instead of just glance at them as we dodged empty strollers, their stray kids and their clueless parents. Next time!
The museum's new building is beautiful! Although I don't remember where it was I do remember going when I was a kid; my dad had taken me and my sisters. Today there were tons of people there, apparently taking advantage of the free admission just like we were. We got to the ticket counter and went to check-in, giving our last name to pick up our tickets. When I told the clerk "Eggett" she asked if we knew someone named Such-and-Such Eggett. She had been roommates with her at school and I asked if she went to BYU-Idaho and it turns out it was one of Casey's cousins! It's so funny, but this is actually the second time a completely random person has known one of Casey's relatives but they all have been out of state.
Anyway, we headed into the museum and started in the kids area on the first floor, the first of five. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera because we were in a splash area, but as Wes stood on a stool, he played with a fish in the little stream and had a blast! He kept trying to kiss/eat it and I was having fun watching him. Unfortunately, there were many other little monsters, er, kids there and the noise and crowds were getting to Casey so we quickly packed up and headed into the dinosaur section.
Looking at a display about how high Bonneville Lake was in comparison to the valley at the time. Wes loved to hold onto the plexi-glass and stomp his feet!
This display allowed you to change the direction of the wind to see how sand dunes were made and altered; Wes just wanted to crawl all over it.
There was a wall full of different sized skulls from all the different cave "men" throughout time and this size was the closest to Wes' head right now, but he wasn't too happy about it. Again, he tried to kiss/bite the skull!
We sat in a little learning room and played with animal puppets for about fifteen minutes! Skunk, cat, grasshopper, butterfly and frogs were available and all he liked was the grasshopper.
While playing with the puppets, we noticed someone yawning and rubbing his eyes- and it wasn't Casey! We wrapped it up pretty quickly after that, only staying for about an hour and fifteen minutes. Next time we come, I think we'll pay and hopefully it won't be so busy and allow Wes to get into the more interactive exhibits. We also will probably wait until he is a little older so he can play a little more on his own and be more interested in what is going on around him. Casey and I did enjoy the museum but would liked to have been able to actually look at the exhibits instead of just glance at them as we dodged empty strollers, their stray kids and their clueless parents. Next time!





No comments:
Post a Comment