March just flew by. With Wesley's birthday at the beginning of the month, March started at a fast pace and just kept going that way. We started the hunt to purchase a home the first weekend of the month. At least once a week we went out with our agent (and my cousin) Chaunny, sometimes more than once a week with her. I honestly didn't think that we were so picky, but it turns out we kind of are. We wanted to stay in southern Davis county, from Centerville to North Salt Lake; we wanted at least three bedrooms and two baths, but preferred four beds and three baths; hopefully a basement and third car garage; newer would be nice; and a minimum of .20 acreage. We ended up really concentrating on North Salt Lake, in the Foxboro neighborhood, since the whole area was built in the last ten years and really fit most of what we wanted. We put two offers, on two very different homes.
The first was a for sale by owner and it was three bed, two bath but open and bright. We actually saw it on our first day out and loved it, completely willing to give up the basement and third car garage because we really felt so good there. However, the owners seemed to want us to get into a bidding war with another family. We offered exactly what they asked and even changed our move-in date to one that was convenient for them, and then they came back to us asking if we could improve our offer. As Casey put it, he didn't want to get screwed nor be the instrument used to screw someone else, we waited to see if they would counter and when they didn't we lost out. Okay, a little frustrating since we were already picking furniture and paint, which I can see now was a bit premature.
The second was a short sale, that we saw on our second time out. This house was huge, like almost 3000 square feet, and had three (finished) bedrooms, the third car garage we wanted, a basement with room for at least two more bedrooms or one huge room. It had a great yard and was great, but we were too late. There was already an offer in to the bank on it, but we decided to go ahead and still submit a backup offer. We just had bad timing on this one, unfortunately, because it became the benchmark to which we kept comparing every other home that we saw.
After looking at just about every home (in our parameter) in Centerville, Bountiful, West Bountiful, Val Verda, Woods Cross, North Salt Lake, and even a few in Farmington, we have decided to build. Yay! Or not, I have had a stress stomach ache for a couple of days now. We first had to purchase the lot, which is in Woods Cross (close to Lorena's for those of you who know where that is).
So, as of today, we are 90% sure that we have the lot and are going to start planning what we want in the house itself so we can draw up that contract. We picked out colors last week, but are still looking at color schemes that we like. Initially we were leaning towards gray tones, but aren't sure if that will be too dark. Who knows? Not us for sure. I've still got some researching to do online to see other craftsman color schemes. As for stuff that we want in the house, we are going to add the third car garage for sure and the grand master bath instead of the fourth bedroom upstairs, but other than that we are still trying to figure out what is a must have and a want. I anticipate a long summer while this gets built but hopefully it will be peaceful process.


No comments:
Post a Comment